The Deep

12th Dec 2014, 12:00 AM

The Deep
  • first
  • today
Rate this comic: X X X X X
average rating: 5
post a comment | post a comment with disqus

LeRenardRoux on 12th Dec 2014, 12:00 AM

[edit] [delete]

view LeRenardRoux's profile
Reappearances of Alicia, Ephemeros, and Proxy170's beautiful Faeries in panels 1 and 2!

Panel 3 features a Faerie I designed based on Leni of EcM's Defenestration, and a Faerie designed be HeSerpenty of Serpents of Old.

User
You don't need a membership to post a comment!

Teslaverian on 12th Dec 2014, 12:03 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Teslaverian
<3 <3 <3
(thank you)

LeRenardRoux on 12th Dec 2014, 7:47 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
XD No, thank YOU! My Faeries would have been so boring without something to work from. :P

<3

Vivocateur on 12th Dec 2014, 12:04 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Vivocateur
Intriguing….now I begin to see how a rogue archaeologist may enter into things.

I'm curious, are all Faeries female?

LeRenardRoux on 12th Dec 2014, 7:50 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
>:D heeheehee

I've been evasive in answering directly, but there's really no point. They are indeed all female. How that works will be explained at a later date.

shaun on 9th Sep 2017, 4:00 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

shaun
I see several possibilities:

1) fairy women mate with men of other races. This wouldn't work in real life because that's not how biology works, but happens frequently in mythology. Also, this would explain why some have names like Nelson.

2) Two fairy women can have a biological child together. Perhaps by magic or perhaps fairy biology is just that different. Of course, if this is true it wouldn't make sense for many fairies to have heterosexual leanings, and I'm not getting the impression that Elgin's barking up the wrong tree with Nova, so....

3) Parthenogenesis. This can actually be combined with one or the other or both of the above in order to keep the gene pool from becoming sterile.

4) I call it augmented parthenogenesis. Something I came up with a while ago (but only just named now) where sex results in the exchange of polar bodies (the byproducts of egg cell creation) and then when a woman decides to have a child a random polar body is used for the sperm. Basically a combination of the last two options, though less free-form.

5) Extreme sexual dimorphism. There are males of the species, but they're nonsentient beasts of burden that look nothing like fairies. I doubt it, as that'd be kind of gross and also make it less likely for Nova to ever be sexually attracted to Elgin, but it's still a possibility.

6) ...or trimorphism. What I'm proposing is that fairies are like communal insects; Nova and every other fairie we've seen are workers, and we haven't seen queens or drones, which again are nonsentient animals used for the propagation of the race and not considered to be part of it. Less gross than the above in that it doesn't imply that Nova will ever be expected to fuck an animal.

7) It spreads like vampirism. There are no baby fairies, just people who are turned into fairies.

8) Fairies DON'T reproduce. Some races in fantasy are long-lived, even immortal. Fairies could have been created long ago, and ever since then, their numbers slowly dwindling.

9) The stork brings 'em. Because why not?

shaun on 10th Sep 2017, 11:34 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

shaun
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot this one, it's basically a more biologically sound version of #1:

When a fairy mates with a, say, human man, the child that's produced is a half-breed. However, the human and fairy genes and chromosomes don't play well together, so the half-breed produces gametes formed entirely of their mother's or their father's genes, meaning that what race their child is basically follows mandellian inheritance rules:

2 half breeds = 50% chance half breed, 25% human (or dwarf, or whatever), 25% faerie.

half-breed and faerie = 50% half-breed 50% faerie.

half-breed and human = 50% faerie, 50% human.

Of course, I doubt the half-breeds would be called that, as they'd be a vitally important part of the Fae reproductive cycle, and there should be a lot of them running around, given that every possible conjunction results in a greater or equal number of them than anything else.

And you know, I distinctly remember seeing beings that looked a lot like elves painted on the ceiling of Lord Melford's library...curious....

shaun on 10th Sep 2017, 11:36 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

shaun
* half breed and human = 50% [/b]half-breed[/b], 50% human. Derp.

LeRenardRoux on 13th Sep 2017, 12:18 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Ohoho! So many theories! I must be reticent, of course, but I enjoyed reading them all. :D

shaun on 14th Sep 2017, 1:05 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

shaun
As an alternative take on that last one, there's these minnows:

web.archive.org/web/20101018022453/http://eobasileus.blogspot.com/2008/03/male-chauvinist-minnows-form-all-male.html

Can't quite figure out how to recreate it in humanoids, though--but some of the things I have came up with while playing with triploidal chromosome sets are quite interesting.

HeSerpenty on 12th Dec 2014, 12:49 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

HeSerpenty
OOoh there she is! Man that crossbow looks so cool <3 (I knew you'd make it awesome instead of my scribble XD)
LOVE it!

And so interested it what we're gonna learn next!!!

LeRenardRoux on 12th Dec 2014, 8:00 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
pssst she's on the next page too. Although the crossbow is gone. >.> But yeah, I love your Faerie. XD

Alicia on 12th Dec 2014, 1:16 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Alicia
So cool! ...I can only imagine how many hours it took to make that detailed pattern? o.o;

LeRenardRoux on 12th Dec 2014, 7:58 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Haha, it did not take super long actually. I used lovely Adobe Illustrator to lay out the circles. The pattern is copy-and-pasted and rotated around a central point. You can probably tell if you look close. >.> Not that I'm suggesting that you scrutinize my artwork. That would probably not end well.

Allzephyr on 12th Dec 2014, 1:31 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Allzephyr
So if they finally get into the tomb and Lira isn't there, does that mean they've just been trolled by King Crow? Talk about revenge from beyond the grave.

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:26 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Old King Crow was a merry old troll
and a merry old troll was he...

rufiangel on 12th Dec 2014, 2:30 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

rufiangel
Oh my, beautiful page! So appropriately chilling and unsettling. Plus those are cool Faerie designs from EcM and Serpy! <333

Will we know the truth by the end of this retelling of old tales?

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:26 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Thanks!! :3 We'll know what Nova thinks about all this, at least. XD

Iamabrawler on 12th Dec 2014, 6:59 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Iamabrawler
Whoa, what an amazing page.

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:27 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
:D Thanks!

Koopario on 12th Dec 2014, 7:39 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Koopario
This seems like the story's end but still looking out for more. It's an...interesting story, to put it less descriptively.
...I say that because someone else has already commented using "intriguing." But it still raises the question: how does the ball (and Nova) tie into this? Is the key somewhere in there, with someone?

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:30 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
There are a few more pages to the story, so hopefully all will be explained by then XD

alston123 on 12th Dec 2014, 9:25 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

alston123
Pretty cool idea using all of those fairies inspired by other comics.
I LOVE the last panel. :3

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:31 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Thanks! It's always fun to pull in some cameos. XD

KAM on 12th Dec 2014, 9:38 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

KAM
*pulls out a sheet of blank paper* It's the map undrawn! ;-)

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:31 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
Aww darn! This isn't very helpful. We should have thought this through, guys... XD

Confettirainbowpony on 12th Dec 2014, 4:28 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Confettirainbowpony
*.* everything about this page is gorgeous! *O*

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:32 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
^u^ thank youuuuu X3

Matt Knab on 12th Dec 2014, 6:40 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Matt Knab
This has all the makings of an epic adventure!

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:32 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
That is what Elgin likes to hear!

KarToon12 on 12th Dec 2014, 7:25 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

KarToon12
Nice job on that last panel! Such detail! 0.0

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:33 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
XD Thanks! I kind of cheated, but I'm pleased with how it came out. :D

Proxy170 on 13th Dec 2014, 5:09 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

Proxy170
This page is so cool! I especially love the designs in the bottom panel...such a mood it creates!

LeRenardRoux on 16th Dec 2014, 8:33 AM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
:D :D Thanks!!

HapyCow on 17th Dec 2014, 8:41 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

HapyCow
AUUUGHHHH I love that last panel so much! Did you make that a full drawing by any chance? :D Becaaaaause...I mean..it would make a great print..

LeRenardRoux on 30th Dec 2014, 5:50 PM

[edit] [delete] [reply]

LeRenardRoux
sadfjvxzads super late response. It just goes a little bit beyond that panel, it doesn't show the full figure or circle or anything. :P But.... we'll be coming back to that guy and by then I should be better at drawing so haha yay
Real Time Web Analytics